1930s


 

Dr. Elbert Little assessed the condition of the forests in southeastern Oklahoma; advent of Civilian Conservation Corps enabled state to construct more fire towers, improve fire protection and seedling program, and plant trees; Great Plains shelterbelt project established windbreaks in western Oklahoma; the nursery moved to Stringtown. In 1937, the State Legislature discontinued the Oklahoma Forest Commission, and created the Division of Forestry in the Oklahoma Planning and Resources Board, with an annual budget of $25,000.