During the 1920's rapid expansion of state fire protection efforts and construction of fire lookout towers across southeastern Oklahoma occurred. At one time, there were 23 state fire towers within the Oklahoma Forestry Services Fire Protection Area.
These towers, and the personnel who staffed them, were critical in detecting and reporting forest fires in their areas. As fire tower observers have retired, they have been replaced by planes that fly over the area. Today there are only three fire towers still staffed with the remaining towers used to house radio repeaters (and staffed by OFS personnel during periods of critical fire danger).