Fire Situation Report – March 17, 2018


Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry - Forestry Services

PROTECTION AREA STATISTICS* for Reporting Period 0800 thru 0800, 03/16/18 thru 0800 03/17/18 

NE Area – No New Fire Report Available

EC Area – No New Fire Report Available

SE Area – 23 Fires Burned 2,164.5 Acres (Cause: 18-Incendiary, 4-Escaped Debris, 1- Equip)

Large / Significant Fire Activity within the Protection Area:

  • Pipeline Road Fire (Pushmataha County) – 900 Acres / 60% Contained
  • Burris Valley Fire (Atoka County) – 1125 Acres / 60% Contained
  • Sandyland Fire (Pushmataha County) 175 Acres / 60% Contained
  • South Boat Ramp (Pittsburg County) – 102 Acres / 50% Contained
  • Hermit (Pittsburg County) – 130 Acres / 50% Contained
  • Blue Ranch (LeFlore County) – 761 Acres / 40% Contained
  • Cowskin Ridge (LeFlore County) – 318 Acres / 50% Contained
  • Coffey Ridge (Latimer County) – 800 Acres / 60% Contained
  • Cupco South (Pushmataha County) – 120 Acres / 40% Contained
  • Wild Horse (Latimer County) – 325 Acres / 60% Contained
  • Surgarberry Fire (Pushmataha County) 273 Acres / 50% Contained
  • Kimberlin Road Fire (Pushmataha County) 135 Acres / 40% Contained
  • Blue Creek Fire ( Pittsburg County) – 1,728 Acres / 50% Contained
  • East Cupco Fire (Latimer County) – 1,000 Acres (est) / 50% Contained

Fire Activity with OFS Response Outside of the Protection Area:

  • Cleora (Delaware County) – 400 Acres / 80% Contained
  • Beggs (Okmulgee County) – 200 Acres / 67% Contained
  • Maple Fire (Canadian County) -1100 Acres / 19% Contained
  • Circle K Fire (Osage County) – 1175 Acres / 99% Contained
  • Graveyard Fire (Washington County) – 793 Acres / 72% Contained
  • School House Fire (Woodward County) – 221 Acres / 100% Contained
  • Cimarron Fire (Harper/Woods County) – 450 Acres / 100% Contained

 OFS Prescribed Fire Activity: No new activity.

FIRE DEPARTMENT STATISTICS from www.firereporting.ok.gov recorded on 03/15/18 thru 03/16/18 

2 – Fires Burned 42.4 Acres – Unknown Cause (Jennings and Indiahoma Fire Departments)

Numerous additional fires and Rx Fires noted through media outlets.

Statewide Discussion:

A weak frontal boundary passed through the state yesterday evening and last night. This ushered in lighter north winds, much cooler temperatures and good humidity recovery through the nighttime hours over most of the state. Most of the state will see lighter winds and higher relative humidity through the burning period today. Sunday is predicted to see a return to a southerly wind pattern, stronger, gusty winds and lower humidity for the western two-thirds of the state. There is a weak disturbance developing that may bring a chance of thunderstorms for the eastern one-third of the state. The cooler temperatures, lighter winds and higher relative humidity values will compress the burning period, but fire conditions are still critical or near critical and any ignitions may be difficult to control due to the long-term fuel conditions.

Northwest / Oklahoma Panhandle: A Fire Weather Watch is in effect for Sunday morning through late Sunday night. North winds early will be replaced by a more southerly flow as the day progresses. Expect fire activity to increase throughout the day particularly in the western half of the panhandle. Relative humidity values should remain in the upper-teens with temperatures in the low-70° range. Skies should become partly cloudy as the day progresses. The cooler temperatures, higher relative humidity values and moderated winds should limit fire behavior conditions today but expect active fire behavior in heavier fuels.

Northern / Western Oklahoma: There are no watches or warnings in effect, but if conditions deteriorate a Fire Weather Watch may be issued for Sunday. The cooler temperatures and higher relative humidity values should limit fire behavior. Temperatures should reach the upper 60° range, relative humidity values will remain in the 20 – 25% range, and the winds will switch from north to east/southeast as the day progresses. Winds should remain light at 5 – 7 mph. Winds are predicted to increase through Sunday with gusts to 25 mph. Clouds will continue to build in to the area as a weak moisture plume works its way northward. Fire behavior will be moderated today due to the compressed burning period but starts in heavier fuels may still prove problematic.

Central / Eastern Oklahoma: Temperatures in the mid- to upper-70°’s and afternoon relative humidity values 25-35% will moderate fire behavior. Winds should remain light and variable throughout the day. Clouds will build throughout the day as a weak moisture plume works its way northward. NWS shows a 40% chance of thunderstorms tonight with this value increasing to 60% Sunday. This moisture plume is not well established and any rainfall may bring little relief to the dry conditions in the heavier fuels. Fire behavior should be moderated, but ignitions in heavy fuels will still pose difficulty to control operations.

Special Note to Firefighters: Oklahoma Forestry Services will be increasing its operational capacity prepositioning multiple task forces in the coming days with locations determined by the highest fire danger. County wildland Task Force resources should be prepared for mobilization.

Resources: Resource Hotline (800) 800-2481

1– OFS Task Forces OHP/OFS Aerial Observation Platform

2 – OFS Suppression Groups

2 – Air Attack Platform 2 – Type 1 Air Tanker and Aerial Supervision Module

4 - Single Engine Air Tankers 2 - Type 1 Helicopter

Burn Ban Status:

For the most current information on Burn Bans click on the following link: http://www.forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-info