Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry - Forestry Services
PROTECTION AREA STATISTICS* for Reporting Period 0800 thru 0800, 02/10/17 thru 02/11/17
NE Area – 6 Fires Burned 47 Acres (Cause: 3-Incendiary, 1-Escaped Debris, 1-Escaped Control Burn, 1-Misc.)
EC Area – 8 Fires Burned 364.3 Acres (Cause: 8-Incendiary)
SE Area – 6 Fires Burned 156.1 Acres (Cause: 5-Incendiary, 1-Escaped Debris)
Large Fire Activity within the Protection Area:
- County Line Fire (Latimer County) – 356 Acres, 50% Contained
- Wesley Fire (Atoka County) – 500 Acres, 90% Contained
- Sugarloaf 1 Fire (LeFlore County) – 375 Acres, 90% Contained
- Nashoba Y Fire (Pushmataha County) – 110 Acres, 90% Contained
Fire Activity with OFS Response outside the Protection Area:
3 Fires Burned 420 Acres (Cause: 2-Incendiary, 1-Escaped Debris)
- Porum Fire (Muskogee County) – 300 Acres, 50% Contained
OFS Prescribed Fire Activity: No New Activity
* Protection Area Statistics do not reflect local fire department’s fire run information. Statistics are for the ODAFF-Forestry Services’ fifteen county Fire Protection Area in eastern Oklahoma unless otherwise noted in the Discussion section of this report.
FIRE DEPARTMENT STATISTICS** from www.firereporting.ok.gov recorded on 02/10/17 thru 02/11/17
1 Fire Burned 2 Acres (Cause: 1-Escaped Debris) Tecumseh FD Reporting
Multiple new fires noted through media outlets.
Red Flag Warning in effect from 11:00 AM through 7:00 PM for all locations west of a line from Osage County to Jefferson County with near record high temperatures in place and an approaching cold front.
Poor moisture recover in western Oklahoma overnight will set the stage for relative humidity having the opportunity to fall into the teens as near record high temperatures and southwest to west winds gust in excess of 20 mph. Elevated to near-critical fire danger indices hold in place across eastern Oklahoma.
Relative humidity values as low as 10% in western Oklahoma and intrusion of very dry air into central Oklahoma will result in very receptive fine fuels within the Warned area. Afternoon temperature readings in the area 85°-°92° will contribute to Probability of Ignition in the 80-90% range raising concern for increased spot fires given a source of firebrands from timber and brush. Winds in the warned area southwest to west around 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph will deliver the potential for extreme rates of fire spread today. On established fires in typical grass fuels rates of spread in excess of 300 ft./min. and flamelength in excess of 15 ft. An approaching dry-cold front will shift winds to the north in the evening hours with gusts up to 45 mph. Particular attention should be paid to the southern and eastern portions of any wildfire today to limit potential for flanking fire transitioning to head fire with cold front passage.
Eastern Oklahoma will also see near-record temperatures, but relative humidity values are expected to remain above 30% and southwest winds around 10 mph with limited gusts will keep grass fuels fire behavior relatively manageable. It should be noted that several fires in the area that have occurred in timber fuels have been difficult to suppress given the current fuel moisture regime.
On Sunday, following the cold front, much cooler temperatures (comparatively) are expected, but north winds will be stout out of the north – especially in southwest Oklahoma where periods of gusts around 40 mph are expected. Relative humidity values are not expected to get back into the teens; however most locations will register afternoon relative humidity values below 30% with Panhandle and western counties in the 20%’s. Precipitation chances edge in to Oklahoma late Sunday night and linger into the first part of the week.
Special Note to Firefighters:
The arrival of a cold front in the state later tonight will cause erratic and shifting winds as it approaches. Keep current on the location of the cold front throughout the day. While fighting fire today be aware of the possible impacts of the shifting winds on fire behavior and changing direction of spread.
Passage of a cold front prompts a clockwise shift in wind direction that generally includes an increase in wind velocity. The effect on the fire ground results in both increased rates of spread and a shift in head fire direction. The southeast flank of the fire has potential to turn into the head fire.
OFS will have Task Force Resources located in central Oklahoma and National Guard has 4 helicopters on duty.
Call the Resource Hotline to Request Resources: (800) 800-2481
Governor’s Burn Ban Issued for 53 Counties: http://www.forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-information
Posted on Sat, February 11, 2017
by Communications filed under